The Art of Detoxing for a Healthier You
This month we are focusing on the Art of Detoxing, detox for a healthier you! Sometimes is nice to hit the “restart” button on your body. That’s how we look at detoxing. Follow us this month through our different journeys of detoxing our teeth, hair, from sugar, skin, and indoor environments. We will help provide you with our own experiences, what we’ve researched, and tell you the 7 things everyone should know about detoxing their bodies.
Week 1: Researching the benefits and ways to detox
7 Things Everyone Should Know About Detoxing:
1. What is detoxing- Abstaining or ridding your body of toxic or unhealthy substances.
2. Should I detox while, pregnant or breast-feeding?- We do not recommend detoxing while breast-feeding or pregnant. When detoxing you release toxins into your blood stream that could be passed onto your baby. You could decrease things such as sugar, caffeine, etc. from your diet and buy organic and non-gmo foods/beverages. We will be posting about oil pulling which is great for a teeth detox. I use Morrocco Method for my hair and zen detox for a good hair clay to speed up the detox process.
3. How do I detox?- You eliminate toxins from your body. You can either eliminate harmful chemicals or substances or use certain methods to “pull” the toxins from your body.
4. What are the health benefits of detoxing? It can help boost your energy level, rid your body of excess waste, helps with weight loss, strengthens immune system, improves your skin, hair, and organs, improves breath, anti-aging benefits, to name a few.
5. How often should I detox? Some detoxes are good daily, weekly, monthly, seasonally. For example, water is a great way to detox and should be done daily, oil pulling can be done weekly (or more), hair detox clay mask can be done monthly, and massages can be done seasonally.
6. What will I feel when I’m detoxing? You might experience these normal symptoms of detox; mild headache, nausea, frequent urination or loose stool, irritability, cravings, nausea, fatigue and disrupted sleep pattern.
7. Why should I detox? If you have these symptoms; depression, unable to concentrate, constipation, fatigue, overweight/unable to lose weight, trouble sleeping, unexplained headaches, unexplained soreness/stiffness, skin problems/allergic reactions, sexual dysfunction.
List of Ways to Detox:
Take a foot bath
Dry brush your skin
Drink Apple Cider Vinegar
Eat a raw garlic
Clay mask for your hair
Clay mask for your face
Decrease refined sugars
Use natural household cleaning products
Use natural beauty products (shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste, lotions, sunscreen, makeup, etc.)
Reduce plastics in your home
Eat fruits and vegetables
Use essential oils
Use a Himalayan Salt Lamp
Eliminate alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes
Reduce screen time (television, tablets, smartphones)
Do a chamomile facial steam
Do lemon juice washes for your hair
Use argon oil
Reduce/eliminate processed foods
Use a sauna
Take an epsom salt bath
Get a massage
Use a diffuser
Use a smudge stick
Use a neti pot
Go to a Himalayan Salt Cave (click here for US locations)
Week 2: Purchasing and experimenting with detoxing products
Where to purchase: Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, Morrocco method (hair detox clay), Home Goods (coconut oil), epsom salt (local grocery store)
Week 3: Detoxing
Click here to learn more about the health benefits of Himalayan Salt
Click here to learn 10 Easy, Cheap and Effective ways to Detox Everyday!
Click here to learn the benefits of Tea-toxing
Click here to learn how to detox with a smudge stick
Click here to learn how to detox your hair
Click here to learn how to Oil Pull
Click here to learn how to use a clay detox mask for your hair
Click here to read about a Salt Cave in Chicago
Click here for the Wi Spa in Los Angles
Click here for tips on detoxing from sugar
Click here for the 12 oz. Detox
Click here for tips on detoxing from head to toe!
Week 4: Reflecting on change
Jenn’s journey: Decreasing sugar
Jackie’s journey: Decreasing soda
Lauren’s journey: Detoxing hair, oil pulling, drinking water, and using a Himalayan salt lamp (see graphic above)
Read about why Kaitlyn loves water by clicking here!
Jackie’s reflection:”This past month I used the detoxing change to help me identify areas in my life that needed a makeover. I chose to detox from the non-nutritive ingredients in Coca Cola. I have slowly weaned off of these toxic chemicals and can honestly say that I feel fresh and cleansed. By focusing on just 1 area this month and not overwhelming myself, my change was a success!”
Jennifer’s reflection: “This month’s change, detoxing from sugar, was the most challenging for me. I had to really think about ingredients and what exactly was added sugar. For some reason, I thought there was sugar and then added sugar, buy really organic cane sugar and sugar are added sugars. The food label states sugar and then the new guidelines should have another column for added sugar, but really this only applies to foods that have natural sugar (dairy, fruits, and vegetables). So, in reality, when a food label lists the sugar amount of a processed food, that’s all added sugar. So I really need to cut back. For example, 5 Oreo cookies is the whole day’s worth of sugar! A scoop of ice cream is more than we are suppose to have in a day. Lastly, I will only buy organic plain whole milk yogurt and then add my own fruit. Organic plain whole milk yogurt has 12 grams of sugar were as organic vanilla low fat yogurt has 26 grams. Take home note…they are not kidding when they say…when the fat is removed, sugar is added!”
Lauren’s reflection: “Wow! I loved this change in my life. It was so nice to tune into my body and pay attention to what it was telling me. Also, I think all the self care really helped me with my ‘moon cycle’. I had less cramps and more energy. I feel like this is really important for everyone to do. Why take a pill? When you can do some of these natural detoxing methods.”
Books and Resources
For more information on how to natural cure a cavity, visit http://www.westonaprice.org
Anthony Morrocco’s healthy hair ebook
The Happiness Project
Enter our August Hair Detox Giveaway!
Enter to win a $25 gift certificate from Morrocco Method.
You can enter by commenting on how you detox or plan to detox this month.
Contest ends August 20th and is for US residents only!
Contest has ended! Thank you all for sharing your wonderful detox experiences and informational with us. Congrats to June for winning!
You can still use our coupon code, farmhealth78, until 9/07/15.
You can check out other changes here